Western Christian Academy offers an accredited homeschool program for all 50 states!
By assisting thousands of families for over 30 years, Western Christian has developed the tools, support, and procedures so families realize the highest level of success. WCA uses an award-winning internet-based structure for high school with over 50,000 multimedia features. The curriculum presents a Christian worldview. WCA’s structure prepares students for today’s college course procedures. High school students can complete their schoolwork from anywhere using typical broadband internet access. WCA’s Teacher on Call feature for high school can reduce parent involvement to the level that works best for the family. There are also digital tutors throughout the curriculum. The high school program includes six subjects, academic adviser support, live teacher support directly within the academic system, plus additional academic assistance via email, telephone, Skype, online whiteboard and other tools.
To ensure the best opportunity for success in higher level courses, WCA requires the Teacher On Call feature for all of our 9th – 12th grade students. Students have access to one-on-one concept help throughout the year. Unlike many programs, WCA teachers have daily interaction with students.
Why WCA students succeed:
- Courses have text to speech and many multimedia features to accommodate different learning styles.
- Courses have digital tutors when the student needs them.
- Teacher communication is provided via the built-in message center within the curriculum, plus additional academic assistance via email, telephone, Skype and other tools.
- Students are guided through the lessons at their own pace, giving them the chance to master concepts at their ability before moving on to more challenging lessons. This allows students more time when needed, but also allows them to move quickly when they have mastered a concept.
- WCA teachers provide subjective scoring so parents do not have to. Most lower costing programs require subjective scoring to be done by parents, which can lead to parent burnout and family relationship issues. Subjective scoring is needed for student work that cannot be automatically scored by our system, such as writing assignments and essay questions.
- WCA has been assisting families for 33 years. We do not have an experimental structure that many newer programs have. We do not shortcut standards and support so we can lure families with a lower price. Investing in our children is the best investment we can make!
High School Tuition Includes:
- Placement testing
- 6 Subjects: Math, Language Arts, Social Studies, Science, Bible, and an Elective
- One-on-one teacher help/tutoring for all subjects
- Course counselor support and scheduled communication
- 4 year projection for graduation and post high school planning
- Progress tracking
- Engaging with students based on need through effective pedagogical practices
- Communication access through email, phone, and instant messaging or video
- Record keeping & reporting
- Semester report cards
- Achievement testing included for 9th and 10th grade. All 11th and 12th grade students need to take an ACT or SAT. Required for graduation.
- 8th and 12th grade Graduation Fee included
Mini Overview of Coursework:
There are approximately 130 lessons for each full-year subject. The student’s home page automatically keeps the student organized for daily work in all subjects. This allows parents to easily monitor daily student performance when needed. Parents are also able to use our Parent Portal for course grades and G.P.A. trends well in advance of report cards. Students finish lessons by completing various questions, activities, and regular quizzes to check for mastery. Students are able to receive concept help when needed. Each full-year course will also have approximately 10 tests to double check for mastery. These tests are weighted evenly, so grade trends change slowly, and there is no end of semester surprises or additional stress. Normally most students will receive higher scores on tests because of our unique mastery structure and instant answer reinforcement. Our automated scoring provides instant correction to the student’s memory for most questions.
WCA requires a minimum of a two semester (annual) commitment to protect the school’s reputation for academic progress. Semester, quarterly, and monthly payment options are a provided convenience for the parents’ commitment of two semesters.
- Graduates will have a high school transcript from an accredited school recognized by state-level departments of education. WCA’s high school has full accreditation status with the North Central Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI).
- A course projection or academic plan for graduation is provided at the time of enrollment to clarify student requirements. WCA takes care of the transfer of records from your previous school. WCA offers online access to academic and financial features. The WCA mobile App gives students and families access to important school information such as calendars, events, instant alerts, and reminders.
- There are four different courses of study to meet student needs: honors, college prep, general, and vocational. A WCA academic adviser can guide you to the best choice.
- High school students have a college entrance school number for use with college entrance testing, applications and financial aid.
- Annual standardized achievement testing is included in tuition for 9th and 10th grades, which can be done at home. Optional achievement testing is available for 11th and 12th grades, but most do not need this since they will be taking ACT or SAT related tests.
2016-2017 Financial Requirements:
The $125 family registration fee is due with your registration form, but you can opt to call in the payment to give yourself a few extra days for payment. The family registration fee covers any other students in any of our programs. The first tuition payment is normally due one week before the student start date. There is a substantial savings for a payment structure that has less payments. For example, the annual payment saves almost two monthly payments. Once again, there is a two semester (annual) enrollment commitment to protect the school’s reputation for academic progress.
2016-2017 High School Tuition Rates:
- Monthly payment option (10x$270)
- Quarterly payment option (4x$647)
- Semester payment option (2x$1237)
- Annual $2249
- High School Enrollment Procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Graduation Requirements
- Credits: Transfer Credits, Credits Outside WCA, College Prep
- Achievement Testing
- Required Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics Lab Kits
Curriculum Scope and Sequence:
(e.g. 900 is normally 9th grade level, 1000 is 10th grade, 1100 is 11th grade, 1200 is 12th grade)
Basically, all you need is a web browser and access to the internet. Typical wired and wifi broadband will work for internet requirements. When using wifi, it is best to have a minimum of 802.11g so the text to speech feature works well. Usually wireless routers and access points less than ten years old will have 802.11g. Parents using dial up will not be able to use our online program. Some satellite internet providers may not work due to download size restrictions or download speed, so check with us. Air cards with broadband usually work.
Our system will work on both PC and Mac browsers. Many tablets will work, but the non-required text to speech feature usually does not work. Some tablets do not have a good Flash player for multimedia features. Tablets will also need a good PDF reader app installed. Normally, it is better to have a traditional laptop than a tablet, because a USB mouse/keyboard and a larger monitor can plug into the laptop at home to offer a more desktop environment with better ergonomics and a student desk structure. With this laptop structure, the student can just pull the three cables off to take the school work elsewhere.
We also recommend taking steps for protecting your computer and student while online.