WCA offers accredited homeschooling for 8th graders in all 50 states!
Western Christian offers four program options for 8th grade. Parents can choose between Parent Teacher Booklet, Parent Teacher Online, Online With Assistance, or Online Teacher On Call. Please review differences below! All programs have curricula that present a Christian worldview. All programs include placement testing, five subjects*, course counselor, record keeping, semester report cards, and in-home achievement testing.
There is a $125 Family Registration Fee due when you submit your registration form, but you can opt to call in the payment to give yourself a few extra days to pay the registration fee. The family registration fee covers any other students in any of our programs. Tuition varies by program, which is listed in each program section below.
ONLINE WITH TEACHER ON CALL: By assisting thousands of families for over 30 years, Western Christian has developed the tools, support, and procedures so families realize the highest level of success. WCA uses an award-winning internet-based structure for 8th grade with over 50,000 multimedia features. The curriculum presents a Christian worldview. WCA’s structure prepares students for today’s college course procedures. Our 8th grade students can complete their schoolwork from anywhere using typical broadband internet access. WCA’s Teacher on Call feature for 8th grade can reduce parent involvement to the level that works best for the family. There are also digital tutors throughout the curriculum. The 8th grade program includes six subjects, academic adviser support, live teacher support directly within the academic system, plus additional academic assistance via email, telephone, Skype, online whiteboard and other tools.
8th Grade Tuition Includes:
- Placement testing
- 6 Subjects: Math, Language Arts, Social Studies, Science, Theology, and an Elective
- One-on-one teacher help/tutoring for all subjects
- Course counselor support and scheduled communication
- 4 year course projection for graduation if continuing
- White board tutoring
- Progress tracking
- Engaging with students based on need through effective pedagogical practices
- Communication access through email, phone, and instant messaging or video
- The student’s home page has an efficient built in lesson plan to keep students on track
- Record keeping & reporting
- Semester report cards
- 8th grade Graduation Fee included
8th Grade Financial Requirements:
EARLY BIRD SAVINGS! Register today and qualify for last year’s 2016-2017 tuition rates (approximately 5% off the rates below). No money is needed today! Fill out our simple registration form today to save a seat in our accredited online academy. The family registration fee of $125 is due before July 1st to lock in the Early Bird Savings. The family registration fee covers any other students in any of our programs. The first tuition payment based on your payment option is normally due one week before the student start date. There is a substantial savings for a payment structure that has less payments. For example, the annual payment saves almost two monthly payments. There is a two semester (annual) enrollment commitment to protect the school’s reputation for academic progress.
2017-2018 Tuition Rates:
- Monthly payment option (10x$284)
- Quarterly payment option (4x$679)
- Semester payment option (2x$1299)
- Annual $2361
To ensure the best opportunity for success, WCA requires the Teacher On Call feature for all of our 8th grade students. Students have access to one-on-one concept help throughout the year. Unlike many programs, WCA teachers have daily interaction with students.
Why WCA students succeed:
- Courses have text to speech and many multimedia features to accommodate different learning styles.
- Courses have digital tutors when the student needs them.
- Teacher communication is provided via the built-in message center within the curriculum, plus additional academic assistance via email, telephone, Skype and other tools.
- Students are guided through the lessons at their own pace, giving them the chance to master concepts at their ability before moving on to more challenging lessons. This allows students more time when needed, but also allows them to move quickly when they have mastered a concept.
- WCA teachers provide subjective scoring so parents do not have to. Most lower costing programs require subjective scoring to be done by parents, which can lead to parent burnout and family relationship issues. Subjective scoring is needed for student work that cannot be automatically scored by our system, such as writing assignments and essay questions.
- WCA has been assisting families for 33 years. We do not have an experimental structure that many newer programs have. We do not shortcut standards and support so we can lure families with a lower price. Investing in our children is the best investment we can make!
All Programs: Students learn at different rates of speed depending on the subject or concept. Students are guided through the lessons at their own pace, giving them the chance to master concepts at their ability before moving on to more challenging lessons. This allows students more time when needed, but also allows them to move quickly when they have mastered a concept. Students finish lessons by completing various questions, activities, and quizzes. There are approximately 130 lessons per two-semester subject.
WCA requires a minimum of a two semester (annual) commitment to protect the school’s reputation for academic progress. Semester, quarterly, and monthly payment options are a provided convenience for the parents’ commitment of two semesters.
- New students take a partial day to use an online tool to customize the student’s personalized academic program. This structure can catch foundational gaps that may be cause areas of struggle.
- WCA takes care of the transfer of records from your previous school. WCA offers online access to academic and financial features.
- The WCA mobile App gives students and families access to important school information such as calendars, events, instant alerts, and reminders.
- Achievement testing can be done directly through our school. Most states that require testing allow this instead of testing at a local public school. The achievement test cost is included for 8th grade full-time students.
Curriculum Scope and Sequence:
(e.g. 600 is 6th grade, 700 is 7th grade, 800 is 8th grade)
Basically, all you need is a web browser and access to the internet. Typical wired and wifi broadband will work for internet requirements. When using wifi, it is best to have a minimum of 802.11g so the text to speech feature works well. Usually wireless routers and access points less than ten years old will have 802.11g. Parents using dial up will not be able to use our online program. Some satellite internet providers may not work due to download size restrictions or download speed, so check with us. Air cards with broadband usually work.
Our system will work on both PC and Mac browsers. Many tablets will work, but the non-required text to speech feature usually does not work. Some tablets do not have a good Flash player for multimedia features. Tablets will also need a good PDF reader app installed. Normally, it is better to have a traditional laptop than a tablet, because a USB mouse/keyboard and a larger monitor can plug into the laptop at home to offer a more desktop environment with better ergonomics and a student desk structure. With this laptop structure, the student can just pull the three cables off to take the school work elsewhere.
We also recommend taking steps for protecting your computer and student while online.